AMA Charter No. 2940
Havre de Grace, MD
Volume 24, No12
The Newsletter of SWAN HARBOR RC
Sect'y / Newsletter:
Member at Large:
Member at Large:
| Scott Jordan
CLUB MEETING: Our combined Club Meeting-Christmas Party
to be held at the Havre de Grace Parks and Recreation Center
on December 14,2013
1:00 - 4:00 PM. See the text for details.
President Scott Jordan opened the meeting at 7PM at Wendy’s in Churchville. Meetings at Wendy’s are getting more comfortable.
- There were 16 members present.
- This was our big political meet and Christmas party planning.. The political part was easy, we just reinstated all the officers from last year. Can’t lose with a winner. One change was made, it was agreed to add another “Member at Large” to represent our “Helicopter Division”. Lloyd Young was nominated for the position.
- The Christmas party planning was a lot more fun. The prizes for the raffle were selected. The first prize is the new E-Flite Carbon-Z Cub. This is really big, you can see a picture of it on the back cover of this month’s Model Aviation. Additional prizes will be a Spitfire and a Corsair from Horizon Hobbies. Raffle tickets are being sold now and will continue through the party.
- The next task was to, select the food for the party. We plan to have two large deli platters, 10-12 pounds of shrimp, and 200 (that’s right) chicken wings. Dale Davis will bring a cake and Jim Snyder will bring the sodas and ice. Members may bring asides of salads or deserts. This is a lot of food.
Any questions about the Newsletter can be directed to Achille Silvestri, Ph 1-410-838-6261 or
RCMB has charter bus
to the WRAM show on
Saturday Feb. 22, 2014. The cost is $40.00 person bus transportation and
admission to the show. For more details
This party is our biggest social event. It is a chance for all of us to come together and enjoy each other’s company. You can see members you may have missed all year. The food is overwhelming and the raffle for new planes is fun and holds you in suspense. Bring your spouse, your friend and children.
Steve Snyder has provided this link to the Havre de Grace Parks and Recreation Center.
The address is 351 Lewis Ln, Havre de Grace, MD
It’s that time again. We’ll be taking membership applications for 2014. You can sign up at the party.
Important! This year everyone must sign the county release form.
Please download an application and a release form so we can keep everyone's
information up to date.
Gary Gunter and Gary Hershberger prepared Hershberger’s Tri-Pacer for flight. Very nice lines, and a little different for a Cub.
This Year's Christmas Raffle Prizes Lineup
Carbon Z Cub
|SAFETY REPORT…BY Bob Walker
It’s that time of the year to pick out what you really want for Christmas. That shiny new airplane would be really neat, but how about some things to keep you safe or prevent a crash of your plane. I am sure you can think of plenty more, but here is a list to get you started:
- A Lipo bag to store your lipo batteries. Even if you have one, you know you added a bunch more batteries since last year
- A real battery charger so you can check the capacity of your batteries. How much capacity does that 2000 mAh battery really have? You might be surprised if you have not checked
- New batteries. If you have no idea how old your batteries are, you probably need to replace them. The pros replace their batteries every other year as it is not worth a plane crash.
- Safety glasses. There are plenty of cool ones out there at reasonable prices
- Still don’t have that first aid kit in the car or truck? You know you are going to cut your finger sooner or later.
- Winter is a great time to buy sunscreen as it is usually on sale
- Have a hard to start engine? How about an electric starter….or at least a heavy glove.
- Instead of charging your lipo batteries in your car, get a deep discharge 12V battery and charge away from your car. Or better yet, get that Honda generator you always wanted.
- Propellers should be balanced before use. A prop balancer is a must and not that expensive
- Speaking of balancing, how about a gizmo to check the center of gravity (CG) of your plane. Many people use the spar as a balance point or just figure the plane must be OK out of the box, but a tail heavy plane is doomed to crash.
I don’t know of any major safety issues at the field this year, so good job and let 2014 be another trouble free year.
Swan Harbor RC meets 7 PM the second Tuesday of the month. In the Fall
and Winter we meet at Wendy’s in Churchville on Route 22. Otherwise we meet at our flying field at Swan Harbor Farm. The public is welcome to the meetings. To fly with us at Swan Harbor
flying field take Oakington Road off US 40 (between Aberdeen and Havre de Grace)
and follow the signs for Swan Harbor Farm.
Be sure to have a current AMA membership card because you need it to fly.
A SWAN HARBOR RC 2013 Membership Applications
is available on line or additional information can be obtained from Steve Snyder, 410-638-2895,
Dev 14, 2014
Swan Harbor RC Christmas Party 12-5 PM at the Havre de Grace Recreation Center
Feb 22, 2014
WRAM show. Contact Jerry McCallum (410) - 654 -1385 for
details about the bus or see
WRAM Show Flyer
The Dead Stick Flyer
newsletter is a communication of Swan Harbor RC. Every
attempt is made to assure the accuracy of the information presented, but the
Editor cannot be responsible for errors or omissions. Content copyright
©2011 by Swan Harbor RC. Users may download and/or print some or all of the
material on this site solely for their own non-commercial use. Any other
copying or redistribution or publication of any downloaded material is
strictly prohibited without the express written consent of the copyright
owner. Editorial content provided by writers does not necessarily reflect the
opinion of the Swan Harbor RC which accepts no
responsibility for results of advice given by columnists or writers.
Copyright ©2002-2013 Swan Harbor RC.
All rights reserved.